UFC 218 takes place Saturday, Dec. 2 from the Little Caesars Arena in Detroit. Headlining the card is a featherweight championship rematch between titleholder Max Holloway and former champion Jose Aldo.
Holloway comes into the bout intending to defend the featherweight championship for the first time since winning the undisputed title in June. That’s the first time he fought Aldo, defeating the longtime kingpin via third-round TKO. The victory over Aldo marked Holloway’s 11th in a row, holding one of the longest active winning streaks across the UFC. His run to the top included wins over Cub Swanson, Charles Oliveira, Ricardo Lamas, Jeremy Stephens, and former UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis.
The champion was originally scheduled to meet former UFC lightweight titleholder Frankie Edgar, but the challenger was forced out of the contest with an orbital bone injury just weeks before the fight.
Aldo steps in on relatively short notice to try to reclaim his title, having remained absent from the cage since the loss to Holloway earlier this year. Long recognized as one of the most dominant fighters on the planet, Aldo has gone 1-2 in his last three fights. The first defeat in that run, Aldo’s first in over 13 years, came in a 13-second knockout against Conor McGregor in December of 2015. The Brazilian legend rebounded several months later, defeating Edgar to become the interim champion at UFC 200.
Results for the bout can be found below.
Early preliminary card (UFC Fight Pass, 6:15 p.m. ET)
- Justin Willis def. Allen Crowder via TKO (Round 1, 2:33)
- Dominick Reyes def. Jeremy Kimball via submission (Round 1, 3:39)
- Abdul Razak Alhassan def. Sabah Homasi via TKO (Round 1, 4:21)
- Amanda Cooper def. Angela Magana via TKO (Round 2, 4:34)
Preliminary card (FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET)
- Felice Herrig def. Cortney Casey via split decision (29-28 x 2, 28-29)
- David Teymur def. Drakkar Klose via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28 x 2)
- Yancy Medeiros def. Alex Oliveira via TKO (Round 3, 2:02)
- Paul Felder def. Charles Oliveira via TKO (Round 2, 4:06)
Main card (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)
- Tecia Torres def. Michelle Waterson is unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28 x 2)
- Eddie Alvarez def. Justin Gaethje via TKO (Round 3, 3:59)
- Henry Cejudo def. Sergio Pettis via unanimous decision (30-27 x 3)
- Alistair Overeem vs. Francis Ngannou
- Max Holloway (c) vs. Jose Aldo