UFC 216 takes place Saturday, Oct. 7 from the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
Headlining the card is a interim lightweight championship fight between Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee. Also featured on the night is a co-main event between flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson and Ray Borg.
Ferguson comes into the bout riding a nine-fight winning streak, last competing at UFC Fight Night 98, when he defeated former champion Rafael dos Anjos in a lopsided five-round affair. Ferguson also has wins over Edson Barboza and Josh Thomson.
Lee, meanwhile, has won five straight to reach this title fight. He last fought at UFC Fight Night 112 in June, stopping crafty submission artist Michael Chiesa with a first-round rear-naked choke. Prior to that, Lee ended Francisco Trinaldo’s lengthy winning streak, also earning the victory via rear-naked choke.
Aiming to defend his title for a UFC-record 11th straight time, Johnson steps into the cage for the second time in 2017. He last fought in April, defeating Brazilian jiu-jitsu specialist Wilson Reis via third-round submission. It was the latest victory in a string of dominant successes for Johnson, who is widely considered the greatest pound-for-pound fighter on the planet.
Borg is a sizable underdog coming into this one, but is 4-1 in his last five fights.
Results for the event can be found below.
Note: A main card bout between Fabricio Werdum and Derrick Lewis has been cancelled. The UFC has since promoted Walt Harris, originally scheduled to face Mark Godbeer on the early preliminary card, onto the main card to face Werdum.
Early preliminary card (UFC Fight Pass, 6:30 p.m. ET)
- Brad Tavares def. Thales Leites via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-26 x 2)
- John Moraga def. Magomed Bibulatov via KO (Round 1, 1:38)
Preliminary card (FX, 8 p.m. ET)
- Matt Schnell def. Marco Beltran via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28 x 2)
- Poliana Botelho def. Pearl Gonzalez via unanimous decision (30-27 x 3)
- Bobby Green vs. Lando Vannata ruled draw (29-27, 27-29, 28-28)
- Cody Stamann def. Tom Duquesnoy via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 30-27)
Main card (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)
- Beneil Dariush vs. Evan Dunham ruled majority draw (29-28, 28-28 x 2)
- Mara Romero Borella def. Kalindra Faria via submission (Round 1, 2:54)
- Fabricio Werdum def. Walt Harris via submission (Round 1, 1:05)
- Demetrious Johnson (c) def. Ray Borg via submission (Round 5, 3:15)
- Tony Ferguson def. Kevin Lee via submission (Round 3, 4:02)