Quantcast
News

Report: Ryan Lochte, 3 other swimmers fabricated robbery story

Ryan Lochte swims the Men's 400 Meter IM Heat 2 A-Final at the 2016 Arena Pro Swim Series at Mecklenburg County Aquatic Center in Charlotte, NC. (Photograph by Greg Thompson / Icon Sportswire)
(Greg Thompson / Icon Sportswire)

Remember that story about Ryan Lochte and three other U.S. Olympic swimmers being robbed over the weekend?

Well, things have taken an interesting turn, to say the least.

According to Matt Gutman of ABC, Lochte and the three swimmers “fabricated” the story and that Lochte may have gotten physical with security:

Another tweet from Gutman says that Lochte may have even broken down the door:

While Lochte has already returned home to the United States, the three other U.S. swimmers (Jack Conger, Gunnar Bentz and James Feigen) involved are in Brazil and cooperating with authorities.

United States Olympic Committee spokesperson Patrick Sandusky said that the three U.S. swimmers are scheduling a time and place “to provide further statements to the Brazilian authorities.” They are also being supported by the USOC and the U.S. Consulate in Rio de Janeiro, per Greg Wyshynski of Yahoo! Sports:

Originally, Lochte claimed that he and three other swimmers were robbed at 4 a.m. when they were in a taxi headed for the Olympic Village, via David Caplan and Michael Edison Hayden of ABC.

Lochte told Matt Lauer of NBC News that two men approached them with guns and badges after the swimmers returned to the cab after using the restroom, per Gutman.

After an investigation proved that little evidenced supported the claims, a Brazilian judge ordered the seizure of Lochte’s passport. However, Lochte had already left Brazil at that time, per ABC.

Conger and Bentz were removed from their U.S.-bound flight on Wednesday, and Feigen’s passport has been requested.

According to ABC, Feigen is still in Brazil.



To Top