Quantcast
News

Long-term concern surrounds Bills’ Aaron Williams after another neck injury

For the second consecutive year, Buffalo Bills’ safety Aaron Williams has suffered a serious neck injury, and as a result, it appears that he will once again miss an extended period of time.

Williams suffered his latest neck ailment when Miami Dolphins’ wide receiver Jarvis Landry nailed him with a crackback block this past Sunday. The veteran defensive back was rolling on the ground for several minutes before leaving the field and eventually heading to the hospital. The Bills haven’t revealed the extent of the injury or how long he will be out, but head coach Rex Ryan acknowledged that there are concerns that it will be an extended absence.

“Yeah, I think so,” Ryan said, via the team’s website. “I don’t think there’s any doubt that there are some long-term concerns there.”

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter reports that Williams’ father said his son intends to wait until the offseason to determine whether to keep playing, so based on that line of thinking, Williams won’t play again in 2016.

Williams’ first serious neck injury came against the New England Patriots in Week 2 of last year. He returned to play in one more game, but then the team placed him on injured reserve, thus ending his season. Even before Sunday’s vicious hit, he had been contemplating retirement. One would think that this will have him reconsidering that once more.

On the other hand, Landry has received a $24,309 fine for the illegal crackback block that hindered Williams on Sunday.

Smack Apparel

To Top