UFC lightweight Joe Duffy will remain with the heralded mixed martial arts promotion after all. According to a Thursday morning report from Ariel Helwani of MMAFighting.com, Duffy’s manager has confirmed that “Irish Joe” has signed a new seven-fight contract with the UFC.
With five UFC bouts already under his belt, the veteran fighter was also reportedly garnering interest from several other promotions, a list that notably included the up-and-coming Bellator MMA.
“I would gladly sign with the UFC if we come to a good deal and everything,” Duffy told Helwani back in March.
“I’ve enjoyed every second of working with them so far. I said it all week, I’ve got a great relationship with most of the staff of the UFC, and I love the USADA program and this type of thing. So it’s not like it’s 100 percent done or anything else; I’m just open to all offers and I’m interested to see what offers are on the table.”
Duffy’s manager, Graham Boylan of Intensiti Fighter Management, told MMAFighting.com that his client is very happy with the new “six-figure” deal.
“[Joseph] is happy with the new deal and is looking forward to getting back in and being more active,” added Boylan.
The 29-year-old mixed martial artist is currently 16-2 overall as a professional fighter while posting a 4-1 record under the umbrella of the UFC. However. Duffy’s most notable win came prior to his days atop the highest level as he infamously defeated current UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor back in 2010 via submission in only 38 seconds.