The Los Angeles Dodgers reinstated first baseman Adrian Gonzalez from the 10-day disabled list Thursday and optioned outfielder Scott Van Slyke to Triple-A Oklahoma City. Gonzalez, who was dealing with right elbow soreness, was batting sixth and playing first base.
This was Gonzalez’s first trip to the disabled list during his 14 years in the majors. He was placed on the disabled list back on May 5.
Gonzalez and fellow Dodgers infielder Logan Forsythe both began rehab assignments with Single-A Rancho Cucamonga on Tuesday. On Wednesday against the Lake Elsinore Storm, Gonzalez served as the Quakes’ designated hitter and went 3-for-4 with two doubles and two RBIs.
“The main things that I went on the DL for are not there no more,” Gonzalez said Wednesday to True Blue LA. “I think the things that were bothering me the most are not there anymore so that’s good.”
The five-time All-Star was hitting .255 with no homers and 11 RBIs before hitting the disabled list. His home run total of 18 last year was his lowest since 2012, which he spent with the Boston Red Sox and Dodgers.
While the Dodgers are certainly pleased to welcome back Gonzalez, the timeline for Forsythe, who’s dealing with a broken toe, is still up in the air.
“With Logan, I can see him taking a little bit more time than Adrian,” Dodgers manager Dave Roberts told the Los Angeles Times on Tuesday.
The Dodgers, three games back on the Colorado Rockies in the NL West, open up a four-game home series against the Miami Marlins Thursday night at 10:10 p.m. ET.