Quantcast
News

Cowboys don’t plan to alter Ezekiel Elliott’s preseason workload

Andrew Dieb/Icon Sportswire
Andrew Dieb/Icon Sportswire

Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott won’t see his preseason workload tinkered with despite his six-game suspension, Cowboys executive vice president and CEO Stephen Jones said prior to Saturday’s preseason opener against the Los Angeles Rams.

Elliott was suspended for six games by the league Friday for violating the NFL’s personal conduct policy. Elliot’s suspension stems from domestic violence allegations from his ex-girlfriend in July 2016 while in Columbus, Ohio, along with several other incidents. It was announced shortly after that he would be appealing the suspension. Elliott was never charged amidst the domestic violence allegations as the Columbus City Attorney’s office said in September it wouldn’t pursue charges.

The second-year pro was listed as the starter for the team’s preseason opener, with Darren McFadden, Alfred Morris and Ronnie Hillman backing him up. The Cowboys selected Elliott with the fourth overall pick of last year’s NFL Draft and he went on to lead the NFL with 1,631 rushing yards. He paired with fellow rookie Dak Prescott to help the team go 13-3 and garner the No. 1 seed in the NFC.

Elliot said in a statement Friday that he strongly disagreed with the NFL’s decision to suspend him for six games. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was also reportedly quite upset following the news. The 22-year-old former Ohio State star has three days to submit an appeal and a hearing must be set within 10 days after submitting the appeal.

If Elliot’s suspension is upheld, he would not be able to return to action until a Week 8 matchup against the Washinton Redskins, as the Cowboys have a Week 6 bye.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To Top