Quantcast
News

Conor McGregor applies for Nevada boxing license

Conor McGregor, of Ireland, stands in the ring before a super bantamweight boxing match between Michael Conlan, of Ireland, and Tim Ibarra on Friday, March 17, 2017, in New York. Conlan stopped Ibarra in the third round. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)
(AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)

A potential Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather moved a step closer to fruition Thursday as McGregor submitted an application to the Nevada State Athletic Commission for a boxing license, according to Boxing News Online.

“Conor McGregor has submitted an application to the Nevada State Athletic Commission for a boxing license,” said NSAC executive director Bob Bennett. “We are currently awaiting additional documents from him in support of his application.”

McGregor had already received a boxing license for California but his latest move opens the door for the potential McGregor-Mayweather bout to end up in Las Vegas. McGregor released a statement Thursday on the application through TheMacLife.com.

“It is an honor to sign this record-breaking deal alongside my partners Zuffa LLC, the Ultimate Fighting Championship and Paradigm Sports Management,” McGregor said. “The first, and most important part of this historic contract has now officially been signed off on. Congratulations to all parties involved. We now await Al Haymon and his boxer’s signature in the coming days.”

CEO of Mayweather Promotions, Leonard Ellerbe was skeptical of the chances for a fight between the two superstars even after McGregor got his California boxing license.

“It’s all a game. It’s all a calculated effort to gain more fans,” Ellerbe told ESPN on Dec. 1 of last year. “He got a boxing license. Congratulations to him. Conor McGregor can say anything he wants to, but he has a boss and his name is [UFC president] Dana White. He is under contract to the UFC, and if he wanted to fight Floyd Mayweather in a boxing match, he can’t because his bosses wouldn’t allow that to happen.”

Mayweather was in London on Thursday to promote a fight between Liam Walsh and Gervonta Davis. He did not comment on McGregor’s application, though, during today’s media availability.

“This is a Liam Walsh and Gervonta Davis press conference; let’s focus on these two competitors,” he said when asked about a potential McGregor fight, per The Score. “That’s total disrespect to both of these fighters.”

Smack Apparel

To Top