We made it. Football is finally back. And with football back, that means daily fantasy football is back as well. Each week, we will provide some of the best plays for DFS and said player’s salary. Without further ado, let’s jump into this weeks analysis.
One of the first things to check when you are creating your lineups is the Vegas over/under’s for the week. Ideally, you want to choose players who will be in higher scoring games. Sounds obvious right? For week one, the three games you want to target are as follows:
Oakland Raiders at New Orleans Saints (-1, 51)
Detroit Lions at Indianapolis Colts (-3.5, 50.5)
Pittsburgh Steelers (-3, 50) at Washington Redskins
And conversely, these are the three games you want to avoid if possible:
Minnesota Vikings (-2.5, 41) at Tennessee Titans
Cleveland Browns at Philadelphia Eagles (-4, 41.5)
Cincinnati Bengals (-2.5, 41.5) at New York Jets
Matthew Stafford – DET – ($7,400 on DraftKings)
- With new offensive coordinator Jim Bob Cooter taking over in Detroit, the Lions want to play at a faster tempo pace. Quietly, Stafford averaged over 23.5 points per game in DraftKings scoring in the final seven games of the season. With the Colts secondary being a mess and with their game projected to be the second highest scoring game of the week, Stafford is an easy play in week one.
Derek Carr – OAK – ($7,300 on DraftKings)
- Oakland travels to New Orleans this week and they face one of, if not the worst defense in the league. On top of that, the Raiders/Saints match-up has the highest over/under of the week. Expect the Saints to put up points versus the Raiders defense, which should keep Carr throwing. Play him with confidence.
Latavius Murray – OAK – ($5,600 on DraftKings)
- This decision is simple. Murray plays New Orleans. Murray is big and fast. The Saints defense is bad. Like, really bad. This game is going to be a shoot-out. Start Murray.
Spencer Ware – KC – ($4,400 on DraftKings)
- With Jamal Charles likely out in week one, Ware is a plug and play starter, regardless of his price. Ware will be the work-horse against one of the worst run defenses in the league in San Diego.
Donte Moncrief – IND – ($6,000 on DraftKings)
- Big, strong and fast, Moncrief is poised to be this years “Allen Robinson”. Moncrief has a nice matchup in week one, facing the Lions in a dome. With Andrew Luck back at quarterback, look for Moncrief to be his target in the redzone.
Marvin Jones – DET ($4,600 on DraftKings)
- Noticing a trend here? Start your Lions versus the Colts defense. Jones is the new face coming from the Bengals, but he should see close to ten targets in this shoot-out.
Antonio Gates – SD ($4,200 on DraftKings)
- Kansas City isn’t a great matchup for Gates, but the time to get Gates into your lineups is earlier in the season. The Chargers are big underdogs this week, so look for Gates to get a lot of targets in this contest.
Jesse James – PIT ($3,400 on DraftKings)
- If you decide to go cheap at tight end this week, Jesse James isn’t a bad option. The Steelers will be without Le’Veon Bell and Martavis Bryant. Markus Wheaton has also missed all of the pre-season and will likely be eased back into the lineup. Antonio Brown is great, but he’s not the most dominant receiver in the red zone, only scoring on targets inside of the five 32% of the time. Look for James to get some targets inside of the 20. At $3,400, you can’t pick a better upside play at this cost.