Former New York Knicks forward Charles Oakley has filed a civil lawsuit after being escorted out of Madison Square Garden following a scuffle with security back in February. As a result, Knicks owner James Dolan, Madison Square Garden Company and MSG Sports and Entertainment have all been named in the suit.
It is also worth noting that Oakley previously accepted a deal to have the charges stemming from the now infamous incident dismissed.
Charles Oakley has filed his civil suit and James Dolan, Madison Square Garden Company and MSG Sports & Entertainment are named.
— Ian Begley (@IanBegley) September 12, 2017
Last month, Oakley’s attorney, Alex Spiro, said that the former Knicks big man would pursue “all civil remedies” as a result of the incident. Spiro says that the incident at Madison Square Garden has always been a matter of principle for Oakley.
Back on February 8, Oakley was arrested after being forced out of the arena by security and was charged with two misdemeanor counts of assault, one misdemeanor count of aggravated harassment and one misdemeanor count of trespassing. Additionally, Oakley was cited for two non-criminal counts of harassment. Cameras showed Oakley tussling with Madison Square Garden’s security staff as security members physically removed him from his chair. Afterward, Dolan said that Oakley had an alcohol problem and anger issues that he needed to take care of. Oakley denied having a drinking problem and insisted that he did nothing wrong at the arena.
Dolan had banned Oakley after the run-in, but lifted the ban mere days later after significant backlash from fans and players. Oakley has had a poor relationship with Dolan for years due to his relentless criticism of both the owner and the Knicks front office as a whole.