Some of the nation’s top college football players were honored Thursday night, as the Home Depot College Football Awards ceremony was held at the College Football Hall of Fame in Atlanta. The big winner was Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield, who won both the Walter Camp, Davey O’Brien and Maxwell Awards.
Mayfield beat out another Big 12 quarterback in Oklahoma State’s Mason Rudolph, and Ohio State’s J.T. Barrett for the Davey O’Brien Award. As for the Maxwell Award, which is given to the player of the year in college football, Mayfield beat out a pair of running backs in Penn State’s Saquon Barkley and Stanford’s Bryce Love.
Love would win the Doak Walker, which is given to the nation’s top running back, beating out Barkley and Wisconsin’s Jonathan Taylor.
The Bednarik Award, which is given to the best defensive player in college football, was won by Alabama defensive back Minkah Fitzpatrick. Fitzpatrick also won the Jim Thorpe Award, which is given to the nation’s top defensive back, becoming just the third player to do so.
The Big 12 enjoyed a solid awards night, as Oklahoma State’s James Washington won the Biletnikoff Award that is given to the nation’s top wide receiver and Texas’ Michael Dickson won the Ray Guy Award (nation’s top punter). In total Big 12 players took home four major awards on the night.
Dickson’s win makes it five straight years in which the Ray Guy has been won by a native of Australia. Memphis’ Tom Hornsey won the award in 2013, with Utah’s Tom Hackett (2014 and 2015) and Mitch Wishnowski (2016) following. Wishnowski was a finalist for this year’s Ray Guy Award as well.
Below is the list of award winners announced during Thursday’s ceremony. The Heisman Trophy winner will be named Saturday night, with Mayfield, Love and Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson the three finalists.
- Walter Camp Award: Baker Mayfield/Oklahoma
- Davey O’Brien Award: Baker Mayfield/Oklahoma (Mason Rudolph/Oklahoma State, J.T. Barrett/Ohio State)
- Jim Thorpe Award: Minkah Fitzpatrick/Alabama (DeShon Elliott/Texas, Josh Jackson/Iowa)
- Home Depot Coach of the Year: Scott Frost/UCF
- Frank Broyles Award: Tony Elliott/Clemson
- Lou Groza Award: Matt Gay/Utah (Daniel Carlson/Auburn, Dominik Eberle/Utah State)
- Biletnikoff Award: James Washington/Oklahoma State (Michael Gallup/Colorado State, David Sills V/West Virginia)
- Doak Walker Award: Bryce Love/Stanford (Saquon Barkley/Penn State, Jonathan Taylor/Wisconsin)
- Ray Guy Award: Michael Dickson/Texas (Mitch Wishnowski/Utah, JK Scott/Alabama)
- Outland Trophy: Ed Oliver/Houston (Orlando Brown/Oklahoma, Quenton Nelson/Notre Dame)
- Bednarik Award: Minkah Fitzpatrick/Alabama (Bradley Chubb/NC State, Roquan Smith/Georgia)
- Maxwell Award: Baker Mayfield/Oklahoma (Saquon Barkley/Penn State, Bryce Love/Stanford)